Beware Tight Fitting Socks and Shoes!
We’re all for wearing fun shoes and socks, especially at Halloween, but it’s important that shoes fit properly and socks are breathable so you can avoid problems like smelly feet (bromhidrosis), sweaty feet (hyperhidrosis), warts, ingrown toenails and a host of other ghoulish issues.
There’s No Hocus Pocus for Healthy Feet!
- Practice good foot hygiene. Feet, toes and toe webs should be cleansed regularly and kept dry, otherwise sweat will accumulate, and foot odour and infections can result.
- Change your socks daily. Avoid all-cotton socks. Their absorbency holds perspiration against the skin that can result in the accumulation of smelly bacteria.
- Wear proper fitting shoes. If you can’t wiggle your toes, your shoes are too tight. When shopping for children’s shoes, take the insole out of the shoe and have your child stand on it so you can see whether it’s a good fit.
- Don’t wear the same shoes two days in a row. Alternating shoes allows them to completely dry out in-between.
Treatments for Frightful Foot Problems
- Discuss your foot problems with your Chiropodist. Here at Werkman, Boven & Associates, we deal with smelly and sweaty feet every day. There are 250,000 sweat glands in your feet – it’s no wonder problems arise. We can offer you suggestions so you can take your shoes off in public without worrying about it.
- Wart treatments such as the Swift microwave therapy system, freezing (cryotherapy) and the application of salicylic acid are available.
- Nail Fungus (onychomycosis). One of these treatments may be right for you: Lunula Laser, Formula 3, or Noveon Nail Laser. Book an appointment to discuss each option with your Chiropodist.
- Ingrown Toenail Surgery. An ingrown toenail can be the result when the edge of a toenail is driven into the toe because of footwear that is too tight. If you have a swollen, tender, red and perhaps pus-filled blister, see a Registered Chiropodist licensed for Nail Surgery and Local Anesthesia.
Be a Smart Witch or Warlock
Use your third party health benefits before the end of December. Book your appointment today. We’re welcoming new ghosts and goblins!
Wishing you a spooktacular Halloween!
We always “treat” our patients to a delicious sweet at the end of their appointment with us so they never have to chant, “Trick or treat, smell my feet. Give me something good to eat. If you don’t, I won’t be sad. I’ll just make you wish you had!” Boo!