Foot Related Conditions
Thick Nails (Onychauxis)
A thickening of the nails
What is it?
- Onychauxis is a thickening (hypertrophy) of the nail.
- Onychogryphosis is a thickening of the nail in which a curved nail (ram’s horn) occurs.
What does it look like?
The nail appears thicker and sometimes more yellow and can often be confused with a fungal infection.
How do you treat it?
A chiropodist can use a special hand drill to reduce the thickness during routine care visits.
How do you prevent it?
- Regular nail care with your Chiropodist
- Proper fitting footwear with enough space in the toe area of the shoe or boot
- Avoid repeated trauma to nails, i.e. be aware that repeated trauma such as kicking a soccer ball can cause the nail to thicken
Articles of Interest
Nail Surgery: Permanent Ingrown Toenail Solution
Are you constantly battling painful, infected ingrown toenails? .....
Keep Your Feet on the Ground…and Keep Them Healthy!
Feet are designed to carry us to the places we .....
What Happens During Routine Foot and Nail Care Appointments?
You may think the word "routine" sounds common, but .....