Condition #7 of 14 Nagging Foot Problems to Beat!
Condition #7: Sesamoiditis
What is it?
Inflammation of the region around the tiny sesamoid bones, which are actually inside tendons that run to the big toe. May also be a result of damage to the sesamoid bones themselves
What causes it?
- High impact activities which may irritate the tendons or cause damage to the bones; a sudden increase in activity levels
- Rapid weight gain or being overweight
- Loss of fat pad on bottom of foot with age which results in decreased cushioning
Signs & Symptoms
May begin slowly as a dull pain but progressively increase in intensity into a more persistent throbbing pain
Treatment & Prevention
- Rest / reduce activity level until symptoms subside; choose low impact activities such as swimming in the interim
- Cushioning devices to offload pressure
- Low dye strapping (taping) to help immobilize the involved area
- Prescription custom orthotics to help correct structural foot problems if they are causing the pain
- Footwear that is properly suited to your foot type. Your chiropodist can provide further footwear advice
Your Chiropodist can provide further advice on symptoms, treatment and prevention. See yours today!