Daily foot care
As always, prevention is the best medicine. A good daily foot care regimen will help keep your feet healthy.
Start by putting together a foot care kit containing nail clippers, a nail file, lotion, a pumice stone and a non-breakable hand mirror. Having everything you need in one place makes it easier to follow this foot care routine every day:
1. Wash your feet in warm (not hot) water, using a mild soap. Don’t soak your feet, as this can dry your skin.
2. While your feet are still wet, use a pumice stone to keep calluses under control.
3. Dry your feet carefully, especially between your toes.
4. Thoroughly check your feet and between your toes to make sure there are no cuts, cracks, ingrown toenails, blisters, etc. Use a hand mirror to see the bottom of your feet, or ask someone else to check them for you.
5. Clean cuts or scratches with mild soap and water, and cover with a dry dressing suitable for sensitive skin.
6. Trim your toenails straight across and file any sharp edges. Don’t cut your nails too short.
7. Apply an unscented lotion to your heels and soles. Wipe off excess lotion that is not absorbed. Don’t put lotion between your toes, as the excessive moisture may cause infection.
8. Wear fresh, clean socks and well-fitting shoes every day. Whenever possible, wear white socks – if you have a cut or sore, the blood or pus will be easy to see.
Visit our website for more information or call/email our office for an appointment.