Be Grateful For Your Feet by Taking Care of Them Every Day!
Being mindful of your feet is the first step (pardon the pun) to optimizing good foot health. Taking proper care of your feet is one way to say “thank you for letting me walk all over you!”
Your feet are your body’s shock absorbers. They withstand hundreds of pounds of pressure with every step you take.
Facts About Feet:
- There are 52 bones in your feet, making up about 25% of all the bones in your body
- The foot is an intricate structure containing 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments and 19 muscles
How YOU Can Care for Your Feet Every Day!
- Carefully wash and dry your feet and in-between your toes every day
- Moisturize your feet, especially during winter
- Change your socks daily
- Alternate your footwear each day. This allows shoes to dry properly in-between wearing
- Vary heel height regularly
- Don’t wear tight or uncomfortable shoes. These can cause a myriad of foot problems
- Think carefully when purchasing new footwear. The style/design of the shoe or boot, width of the toe-box, overall support, and heel height should be carefully considered. Choose comfort and function over flair
- Watch out for flip-flops. They are completely flat and don’t offer any support
- If you are living with diabetes, use a mirror to carefully check your feet every day and see a professional for specialized footcare. Learn more about Diabetic Footcare & Education
- Be cautious when having pedicures away from home. The importance of cleanliness and proper sterilization techniques cannot be understated. Always take your own base coat, colour and top coat for nails
- Pay attention and look for bumps, irritated or broken skin, swelling, redness, and/or other abnormalities in your feet and ankles, toes and nails
- Don’t ignore pain. Pain is your body’s way of telling you something is wrong. Listen to your body and take action when aches and pains occur
Do You Have Third Party/Extended Health Insurance?
Check your policy! Routine footcare is most often covered under the heading Paramedical Services. Most insurance policies allow for $500 per calendar or benefit year for chiropody/podiatry services. You’ve worked hard for your benefits. Use them! Book your Chiropody appointment today.
How Your Chiropodist Can Help!
Regularly scheduled footcare appointments with your Chiropodist or Podiatrist include:
- toenail cutting and thinning down thickened toenail(s) (if required)
- debriding corn or callus (if required)
- monitoring of existing and new moles and warts
- exfoliation (if required)
- application of moisturizer (if you would like)
Your Chiropodist is here to help you optimize your foot health so you can enjoy life’s everyday pleasures. Here are some of the foot conditions and everyday foot problems patients discuss with Chiropodists. Treatment options are available.
What We’re Thankful For…
Our attitude is gratitude. Thank you to all of our patients, colleagues, suppliers, friends and family for their unwavering support of Werkman, Boven & Associates. We appreciate you and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!