Compression stockings may sound like something only your grandma wears. However, you couldn’t be more wrong! Let us convince you of the benefits of compression therapy. Keep on reading to discover what compression therapy is and why it is right for you!
What is compression therapy?
Compression therapy is the application of external, graduated pressure to the limb via an elastic device to reduce venous pressure within the limb. In other words, your compression stockings or socks apply controlled pressure to your limbs to squeeze the vein walls together. The pressure is greatest at the ankle, gradually decreasing up the leg.
This pressure helps support your veins to:
- Improve circulation by reducing the diameter of veins, which increases the velocity and volume of blood flow
- Reduce swelling (edema) by reducing capillary leakage into the interstitial tissues
Wearing graduated compression socks or stockings will support your veins and increase circulation, reducing swelling and the feeling of tired, achy legs.
Compression stockings should not be confused with support stockings.¹ Support stockings offer passive resistance to swelling, whereas compression stockings apply active pressure to prevent your blood vessels from dilating and help blood flow back to the heart.
At Werkman, Boven & Associates, we proudly offer SIGVARIS® Compression Therapy. Our certified fitters will measure you to provide you with a pair that suits your needs and style.
Give us a call today to find out more!
Who should wear compression socks?
Quite simply, everyone! While compression socks help prevent and treat varicose veins and other circulatory problems, they also promote healthy circulation in average legs.
- Those with jobs that require them to sit or stand for prolonged periods (i.e. bus driver, nurse)
- Travellers confined to a seat for more than a few hours
- Pregnant women
- Those with varicose veins, chronic venous disorders, edema, stasis, blood clots, venous ulcers, and for those who have had or will be having a vein procedure
- Athletes: Properly circulating blood restores much-needed oxygen and nutrients to tired muscles that have been deprived during a workout. SIGVARIS® Sports products help muscles regenerate more efficiently and remove any lactic acid that has built up.
Taking care of your legs is important to maintaining your overall health. This is especially true if you have been diagnosed with a chronic venous disease, edema or diabetes. By protecting your health, you lessen the risk you will experience a medical complication. Please book an appointment with your Chiropodist today and let us help you keep those legs healthy and strong.