Why Foot and Nail Care Is So Important!
May is Foot Health Awareness Month!
Be kind to your feet and they’ll let you walk all over them for life! May is the month that footcare professionals promote the importance of good foot health and why it’s important to take care of your feet.
Whether you are living with diabetes, an avid athlete, working, retired or a student of life, May is the month we ask everyone to stop for a moment, greet your feet and say thank you!
Feet often take a back seat when it comes to health. Why? Because we forget about them – until something goes wrong.
Did you Know? Each of your feet has 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments and 19 muscles. The 52 total bones in your feet make up about one quarter of all the bones in your body!
How to Keep Feet Healthy
- See your Chiropodist for regular foot health check-ups and nail care
- Be open and honest with your Chiropodist. Let them know about foot pain, pain in lower extremities, or foot features you find embarrassing or unsightly (fungal nail, athlete’s foot, bunions, Plantar warts, etc.)
- Ask questions about treatment options
- If you’re living with diabetes, pay special attention to your feet
- In Ontario, there is 1 amputation every 4 hours because of a diabetic foot ulcer
- 85% of diabetes-related amputations are preceded by a foot ulcer. (Source: Canadian Diabetes Association)
- Wash your feet with soap and water every day
- Dry your feet carefully, especially between the toes
- Don’t walk barefoot in public places (swimming pools, fitness centres, etc.)
- Wear clean socks and appropriate footwear. Fit and comfort are important to your well-being. Ask your Chiropodist for suggestions on footwear for your sport of choice (including walking!)
Footcare Concerns and Conditions Your Chiropodist Can Help With:
- Arthritis & Joint Pain
- Athlete’s Foot
- Claw/Hammer Toes
- Custom Made Orthotics
- Diabetic Foot Care & Education
- Flat Feet / High Arches
- Foot Ulcers & Wounds
- Fungal Nails
- Heel Fissures
- Heel/Arch/Knee/Foot Pain
- Hyperhidrosis/Sweaty Feet or Bromhidrosis/Foul Smelling Feet
- Ingrown Toenails
- Magnetic Biostimulation – Relief of Pain and Inflammation
- Nail Fungus Treatment
- Nail Restoration (Keryflex)
- Nail Surgery and Injections
- Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain)
- Plantar Warts
- Routine Foot care
- Shin Splints
- SIGVARIS® Compression Socks and Stocking Therapy (support veins, increase circulation, reduce swelling and the feeling of tired, achy legs)
- Sports Related Foot Problems
- Sprains & Strains
- Swift Treatment for Plantar Warts
- Shock Wave Therapy (non-invasive, fast and effective treatment for foot pain)
- Thick Nails
- Total Contact Casting & Off-loading Devices (for ulcers and wounds)
- VOXX Socks and Insoles
We invite you to learn more about the foot related conditions we treat, footcare products, and complementary services.
Book an appointment with your Chiropodist today and look forward to having a great tomorrow – putting your best feet forward!